History of Radstock
Radstock has been settled since the Iron Age and its importance grew after the construction of the Fosse Way, a Roman road. The town grew extensively after 1763, when coal was discovered in the area. Numerous coal mines opened during the 19th century, including several owned by the Waldegrave family, who had been Lords of the Manor since the English Civil War. Admiral Lord of Radstock, brother of George Waldegrave, fourth Earl Waldegrave, took the town's name as his title when created a Baron.